Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Baby Mittens - Free Pattern

I'm following up my post of my own design baby hat with my own design baby mitten.

Materials:
Cannon crochet cotton size 8, 1 ball white (main color) and scraps of pink (contrasting color)
Crochet hook size: 2.00mm
Gauge: 8 sts and 4 dc rows = 1 inch

Start with main color, chain 13. (ch 3 counts as 1st dc of each round.)
Rnd 1: 2 dc in 4th ch from hook. 1 dc in each of the following 8 ch. 5 dc in the last ch, turning to the other side of the foundation ch. dc in the next 8 ch, 2 dc in the last ch. sl st to the first dc.
Rnd 2: ch 3, 2 dc in each of the next 2 dc, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in next 2 dc,dc in the next dc, 2 dc in next 2 dc, dc in the next 8 dc, 2 dc in next 2 dc. sl st to join round.
Rnd 3: ch 3, 2 dc in each of the next 4 dc, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in next 4 dc,dc in the next dc, 2 dc in next 4 dc, dc in the next 8 dc, 2 dc in next 4 dc. sl st to join round.
Rnds 4-12: ch 3, dc in each dc around, join. (50 dcs)
Rnd 13: ch 1, sc in the same stitch. (ch 1, skip 1 st, sc in the next stitch) around.
Rnd 14: ch 3, 2 dc in each ch 1 space around. Do not join. ch 3, turn.
Rnd 15: dc in each dc. turn.
Rnd 16 (edging): ch 2, dc in same st, (skip 2 st, sl st, ch 2, dc in the next st) to the end of round. Fasten off and weave in end.
Ties (make 2): With contrasting color, ch 85. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Flower embellishment (make 2): With white, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Join with sl st to first sc. Change to pink, (ch 2, 3dc, ch 2, sl st in the same sc) sl st to the next sc, repeat ( ), making 6 petals. Fasten off and attach to mittens. Weave ties through rnd 13.
Balloons : With any color, leaving a 6” tail for sewing, ch 2, 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join, work continuously around: 2 sc in next 6 sc, sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in the next sc, sc and hdc in the next sc, sl st in next sc. Ch 1, turn, sl st on the next st. Ch 7, or more for the string. Fasten off.


Appliques for Baby Items - my free pattern

Baby Mittens - free pattern (not mine)

More Baby crochet projects

More projects with cotton threads

All my designs in one page - thanks to Ravelry!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is a great pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the flower pattern! I like your website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous07 July, 2006

    A really neat website. Thank you for the pattern, I know Im going to enjoy creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the appliques! I've been using them to decorate various items I have made for my baby daughter. (Though I can't work out how to do the star.) Thank you so much for making them available.

    I would love to make these baby mittens as well, but you haven't included a gauge and I don't know what size 8 yarn means :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fjordalv, thanks for your comment!
    If you're familiar with size 10 thread, you wont have much problem using this pattern. size 8 thread is just a little bit thicker than the size 10.
    I will edit the pattern to include gauge, later (hope I remember to do it soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mimi!

    Thanks for sharing the pattern to us. =)
    I will definitely make one for my baby!

    - Peach

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Peach! Hope to see some of your projects posted soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mimi, I'm a beginner and the pattern does seem really simple to follow, however I am confused about one part. The part where I'm suppose to "turn to the other side of the foundation chain"on round one, am I suppose to turn to the back of the stitches I have already created or am I suppose to add to the bottom side of the foundation chain(kinda like what you would do if you were making the sole part for a pair of booties) Please help. I absolutely love the mittens and this is the easiest pattern I have found to follow. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thanks for your question.
    Yes, its like making the sole part of a pair of booties. You'll also be working only on the right side of the stitches for rnds 1-13.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Mimi, these gloves are so cute.I just cant wait to make them. Is there anyway you could tell me the approximate dimensions? These will be a gift, so just want to make sure it came out right. And are these just for 0-3 months? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,these are for 0-3 mos. baby. The approx. measurement is 8cm x 7cm...though it will vary with the yarn and hook used, and the individual tension.

      Delete
  12. Hi! Your baby mittens are so adorable! I am going to try making them with size 10 thread. What size steel crochet hook do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the feedback! You may use the same size hook as above which is 2mm, since the size 8 thread is just a little bit thicker than size 10 thread.

      Delete
  13. Hi Mimi!

    Thanks for the pattern. However, I screwed up on both the yarn weight and the crochet hook size and ended up with giant baby mitts :D Anyway, may I make a suggestion? Awkward Moment of Silence - Do I wait for a reply or do I type it now? I'll wait for a reply. :D Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! This is one of my first patterns, it worked for me when I had babies...which was a long time ago. I didn't have size 10 thread then and it would have worked out better if I had used that.
      My free pattern is offered as it is, showing how I made the sample in the photo.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog!