Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tunisian Crochet - Free and Easy

Tunisian crochet is also known as Afghan crochet, or hook knitting. Tunisian crochet uses a hook which is similar to a standard knitting needle with a hook rather than a point. Each row is made by placing loops on the hook and then working them off again. The work is not turned, so one side of work, usually the front, always faces you.
I haven't advanced from the plain tunisian stitch, though I know someday I will. It just seemed to take too long to finish, but the resulting fabric is very nice and very useful. Here's the tunisian stitch dishcloth (view project on Ravelry) I made a while back.


Tunisian crochet is easy to learn. Here is a directory of free tunisian crochet instructions at Crochet Pattern Central.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try Tunisian crochet for a long time too, never have got around to doing it yet!Your dishcloth looks so nice that I want to try too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to learn this...my local yarn shoppe does classes on this technique

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!